Monday, February 23, 2009

TIM'S COMMENTS ON THE PROPOSED BUDGET

First of all, I would like to thank the Town Coordinator for his prompt completion of the budget, and for providing it to us last week, well ahead of tonight’s meeting. I also appreciate that, although there are some difficult cuts proposed, we still will be able to avoid an override, otherwise known as a tax increase. I look forward to the coming months, when the Finance Committee, and the community at large, will get a chance to review the proposed budget and the impacts of the proposed cuts. While I appreciate that all proposed personnel cuts will be handled through attrition and through elimination of part time positions, I feel it is still important that we discuss these positions thoroughly.

I would also ask that the budget overview sheet be made available on the town’s website, and that, if possible, full binder copies of the proposed budget be made available to the public, through the Town Manager’s office, and potentially at the library as well.

I do have two specific questions of budget consideriations that I was wondering if they were considered:

Purchasing: Many departments have listed budgets for “office supplies” under their “expenses” line item. I was wondering if any effort had been made to push for elimination of these requests, and to handle all office supplies requests, including paper and printer cartridges, through the central purchasing account?
Recently, the school committee has made a push to make the schools more energy efficient. We have also discussed how to make town buildings more energy efficient, and I appreciate the time that it will take to institute some of these program.s However, I was wondering if you, as per charter the custodian of all town property, has instiuded any energy saving measures, such as limiting the number of lights on at a certain time. I have seen this type of program save money in municipal budgets in other communities, and while it may sound trivial, I believe that we would be able to save some money by looking into this.

No comments:

Post a Comment